Monday, February 1, 2010

Wonderfully French






Sometimes simple French food gets bastardised so much that we tend to overlook certain dishes for fear of appearing 'common' and 'boring'. For me this has been the case with pepper steak for a long time. My reunion with this wonderfully simple french dish came about strangely enough due to a wanting for something to go with my accompaniments, a little backwards I know, but such is life sometimes.
A yearning for Aligot potatoes, the traditional elastic textured mash potato of the Lagioule region in France made with Cantele cheese, butter and garlic was the instigator on this occasion. Cantele being a little hard to obtain in Aus, I went for the closest resembling cheese I knew, Gruyere! I threw in my own little spin by using a bit of confit garlic and some of it's oil(as well as Lescure butter of course). Having some home made bacon on hand prompted me towards another french classic of pettit pois ala francais.
With all these classic french components in a main, how could I even consider moving away from that theme for dessert!
Being fortunate enough to have some white chocolate mousse begging to be used in my fridge, and some chocolate macaroons in the freezer, it was just a matter of finding something to tie them together. Vanilla braised blueberries with a touch of salt is one of my favourite things to eat with creamy desserts because they are sharp and cleansing while being completely at home with cream. After this meal, all I needed was a nap.......

No comments:

Post a Comment